After 2 weeks of being open with 3 or 4 runs on our lower mountain, it looks like things are at last going to get interesting. The weekend storm is looking promising and the very cold temps to follow should make for more ideal snow making conditions.
The Snow Safety team (Colin, Dave, and myself) have been poking around the McConkey's and Thayne's areas the last couple days. We're trying to get a sense of the current snow conditions and how much new snow it will take to open things up. One thing we have found, if we do get a large storm, backcountry avalanche conditions could be dangerous. We have noticed that some folks are touring into our still closed upper mountain and a couple of them have released small slides. One thing to remember this time of year, especially as this new storm is soon upon us, is that these areas are BACKCOUNTRY right now. There are no patrollers out there to help you and there is no avalanche control work yet.
Today (Friday) we are planning to take our rookie class up to McConkey's for a little bootpacking work in the main bowl. This should help consolidate the older snow into a layer that will help hold onto the new snow. Also, after 2 weeks of intense patrol training on the lower mountain, it will give the gang a chance to get out in the "high country" and have a little fun messing about in snow.
Originally from the Pocono’s of Pennsylvania, Travis found his way to Park City three years ago and is now our grooming manager. When not in snowcat you can find him skiing or snowmobiling in the Utah backcountry or enjoying the skiing here at Park City Mountain Resort.