How to Make Embellished Snow Hats Kids Will Love
To help give my kids that little extra spunk on the slopes, I've added more yarn to their store-bought knit hats! It's so easy to do. You can either sew or glue on the extra yarn for a fun spikey hat look.
- quilting needle
- yarn - any color
- knit hat
- *optional - use hot glue instead of a needle if you'd rather glue than sew
1. Thread your needle with yarn, about 2 feet doubled up, and tie a knot at one end.
2. Stitch your yarn through the top of your knit hat in any pattern you'd like, leaving each stitch very loose (you'll cut them and knot them in step 4). It can be a whole bunch of stitches right on the top center for a spikey look or in a long line for a mohawk look. Make at least 5-6 stitches for a good bunchy yarn look.
3. Tie a knot when you're done on the last stitch and cut the end with your scissors.
4. Next, cut all the loops of the yarn, so you have strands hanging by themselves and none of them attached. Then tie each of those together to form a knot for each stitched piece of yarn.
Now your hat is ready for the slopes, you've got some new yarn flare!
Get to know the Snowmamas who share the ins and outs of creating unforgettable moments.
Ask A Snowmama
Ask your question about family winter
travel and one of our
Snowmamas will answer.
Connect with Snowmamas
Related Snowmamas Posts
Add Your Own Comments
The views expressed on Snowmamas are those of the individual authors, who are independent contractors of Park City Mountain Resort, and may not be factually accurate. These views are not intended to reflect the opinions of Park City Mountain Resort, its owners, its management or its employees. Snowmamas' authors have or will receive a paid trip to Park City Mountain Resort or will receive other compensation for their participation as an author.